Alumni Friends of The University of Queensland Inc (also known as Alumni Friends) is an Australian first, dating back to May 1967, Alumni Friends was the first of the many Australian university alumni associations subsequently formed. The Rules of the Association are available here.
The association aims to promote and further the interests of the University, and to foster mutually beneficial relations amongst alumnae and with the wider community. Membership is open to everyone who has an interest in UQ: parents, students, alumni, and friends. Operated by a large group of dedicated volunteers, the association continues to raise significant funds through the very popular biennial UQ Alumni Book Fair – which is run by a team of enthusiastic volunteers – and through donations and gifts from members. The close association of our members with UQ cannot merely be measured in dollar terms, but activity to date includes the disbursement of the equivalent of over $8 million dollars to the University and to its students.
Alumni Friends has a number of special interest groups, including The Three Score Club, Dentistry Alumni, Medical Alumni, and Friends of Antiquity (the Physiotherapy Alumni and Veterinary Science Alumni groups closed in 2018). New Members are always welcome. New volunteers are particularly welcome! For more information on joining in please contact us.
The Association was based at Cairngorm for over 26 years, until moving to new premises at the Long Pocket and St Lucia campuses in 2017.
Of historical interest, from our records:
- Name Change History: The Alumni Association of The University of Queensland Inc .was formed in 1967, with the support of the (then) Vice-Chancellor, Sir Fred Schonell. On 17th May, 2008, the association held a Special General Meeting which voted to change the association’s name to Alumni Friends of The University of Queensland Inc. This was undertaken to avoid confusion between the newly-formed UQAlumni network being developed by the University. This name-change was subsequently approved by the Queensland Government’s Office of Fair Trading on 7th July, 2008.
- Address by the Governor of Queensland, The Honourable Penny Wensley AC, on the occasion of The University of Queensland Centenary Celebration Reception for Alumni Friends of The University (held at Government House in the presence of the Chancellor of the University, Mr John Story, 4th July 2010).
- The AGM Address, given by The Honourable Dr Penelope Wensley AC at the May 2015 Alumni Friends’ AGM.
- “Recognising and celebrating the valuable contribution of Alumni Friends of the University of Queensland,” the University Senate hosted an afternoon tea in the St Lucia Campus Alumni Court, 27 February 2017): . Following speeches by Peter Varghese AO (Chancellor, The University of Queensland) and by The Honourable Dr Penelope Wensley AC (Patron, Alumni Friends), a commemorative plaque was unveiled by Peter Varghese AO, The Honourable Dr Penelope Wensley AC, and by Professor Peter Høj (Vice-Chancellor and President, The University of Queensland).
- Address by His Excellency the Honourable Paul de Jersey AC, Governor of Queensland, at Government House, on the occasion of a reception hosted by the Governor and Mrs Kaye de Jersey, as part of the celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the Alumni Friends of The University of Queensland.